While I have my mind on the freezer, let me share one secret to meals that I try to do as needed. I have started a habit of making twice baked potatoes and freezing them. Since you have already seen my freezer situation, you know that I can’t do a ton of freezer cooking. But, it does help to have some things ready to go on a busy night.
I like to do a 5 lb. bag of russet potatoes at a time…here is the recipe.
Use 5 lbs. russet potatoes, scrubbed and baked at 350 degrees until tender. Cool slightly and cut in half long ways. Scoop out all of the potato into a bowl and add the following:
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 sticks of butter, sliced thin (I know…sorry)
- 3 cups of cheddar cheese (more depending on your taste)
- salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic salt, onion powder to taste (that goes on everything and is another post all together!)
- 1 small bag of bacon bits
- half and half (depending on how dry the potatoes are…need to eyeball that)
Stuff the potatoes and put the sheet pan in the freezer to quick freeze.
After an hour or so you can take the pan out of the freezer and put the potatoes into freezer bags for storage.
Just take out the number of potatoes that you need for the night and bake at 350 degrees until they are hot and a little brown on top. I like to add more cheese at the end. I find that any little bit of planning ahead helps…enjoy!